Part II: Mains
This week we are looking at the ultimate pick-me-up food that anybody will drop their jaws to the ground for! I was thinking what better way to satisfy your hunger than with a ginormous homemade beef burger, fit for a king?
And so, the Über Flavour burger was born!
What a juicy, mouthwatering piece of awesomeness – and I got to have carte blanche with the recipe, so I decided on all of the elements that went into the burger.
The end result is this: a homemade beef burger with pepperdew relish, creamy avocado, crispy salami bits, pickles and battered red onion rings! It is both literally AND figuratively a mouthful of a burger.
Über Flavour: Mango & Vanilla
The first thing I thought of was definitely that Über Flavour is rich in umami, and we would need a burger that will be able to stand proudly alongside this drink, not shying away from its serious Umami hit. This is what I came up with: –
Mango is a rather vibrant, juicy and tropical fruit. It pairs off very well with tomato, chilli and robust flavours. My concern was with the underlying vanilla of the drink, which I didn’t want to completely overpower with the use of strong flavours. In the end, I decided on a pepperdew chilli relish, because pepperdews are not overwhelming to the tastebuds and neither are they too spicy.
I love to have a creamy factor to all my dishes and I chose the creamy avocadoes to go along with this relish. I used the Hass avocado variation – do ensure that you have given your avocadoes sufficient time to ripen!
I was originally going to go with an ostrich burger, but I could not procure ostrich mince at the time. I had to settle on beef burgers, which came out amazing nonetheless. However, I do think that this would make an excellent variation and pair very well with the mango flavour.
I topped this burger off with some battered red onion rings. I used a little bit of pumpkin spice (cinnamon, nutmeg & ginger powder) in the batter, which complemented the vanilla notes in the Über Flavour drink. The red onions also provided a subtle sweetness to the burger. As you can see, I really thought about every single component when I designed the perfect Über Flavour burger to go with its Mango & Vanilla counterpart.
You can win with Über Flavour Rooibos Brews and The Fashion Factor!
My dear readers, I have the most awesome news for all of you! TFF is running a competition in partnership with Über Flavour and you could stand a chance to win the coolest Über Flavour merchandise and goodies!
We have a first and second place prize up for grabs!
2 mixed cases of Über Flavour drinks
1 Über Flavour cooler box
1 Über Flavour shirt
1 mixed case of Über Flavour drinks for the lucky winner who comes in second!
The rules of the competition are really simple, and entering is even easier. All you need to know:
- Follow our foodie account on Instagram: @foodfactorco
- Follow Über Flavour on Instagram: @uberflavour
- Head over to this link and comment on the Instagram post by tagging THREE of your friends who you would love to share your amazing prize with, if you win!
- To enter, you must be a Cape Town/Cape Town surrounds resident.
- You can have a chance to enter this competition until the 28th of August at midnight, and winners will be announced on the 29th!
- Get entering NOW!!!
*Please note that the prize delivery/collection will be organised by Über Flavour upon announcement of the winners, and there are no specified dates that winners must receive their prizes by. Über Flavour will ensure that prizes do reach the hands of the winners within reasonable time. The Fashion Factor is not involved in this process.
The Recipe: –
“The Über Flavour Burger: Homemade beef burger with pepperdew chilli relish, creamy avocado, battered red onion rings and microgreens”
Pairs with Über Flavour Mango & Vanilla Rooibos Brew:
These burgers are just so convenient and everything about them is “Über-flavoured”! You can even prepare the burger patties and freeze them to be made in the future. The best part is that you don’t have to thaw the burger patties, and you can grill from frozen!
- 1kg beef mince, lean
- 1 medium white onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- About half a cup of chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 egg
- 1 bread roll
- 1 tsp salt
- Seasoning pepper to taste
- Squeeze of lime juice
- 1-2 tbsp cooking oil (for frying the patties with)
- 6 pepperdews, coarsely diced
- 1 can chopped Italian tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt to season
- 1-2 ripe avocadoes (dependant on size of avo)
- ¼ cup of smooth cream cheese
Battered Red Onion Rings:
- 1 red onion, cut neatly into onion rings
- 250 ml self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice ( ½ tsp cinnamon powder, ¼ tsp nutmeg & ¼ tsp ginger powder) OR 1 tsp mixed spice, available at supermarkets in the spice section
- 250 ml milk
- 1 egg
- About 1 and ½ to 2 cups of cooking oil, for deep frying
- Microgreens for garnishing
- Pickles for topping the burger patties, as desired
- 4 delicious, fresh burger buns
- 80-100g good quality salami, sliced up as per preference
- 1 tsp cooking oil (to fry the salami with)
- Some butter to toast the buns with, if you like
*You can add in other toppings or sauces if you so choose, but I think the relish and avo is just perfect as is!
- Pulse bread roll into fine bread crumbs.
- Thoroughly combine mince, seasoning, egg, onion, garlic, parsley, and crumbs from the roll.
- Add squeeze of lime juice, mix again and divide into 4 portions of 250g each.
- Using your hands, shape into patties of approximately 14cm in diameter and 3-4cm in thickness. It may seem quite big, but beef mince shrinks quite a bit.
- To cook, prepare a non-stick pan by greasing with the oil and heating it up to 200° C. I like the pan quite hot so that I can get the burgers medium rare, but you can also keep it at 180° for medium or medium well.
- When the pan is ready, fry the burgers for about 4 minutes on one side, turning and then frying for a further 2-3 minutes on the other side. The burgers should be nice and juicy with this heat setting and cooking method. You can also grill the burgers on the braai stand, if you prefer a smoky, grilled flavour for your burger patties.
- Heat up the olive oil in a pan to 180° C and sautée the pepperdews for about 30 seconds.
- Pulse the chopped Italian tomatoes until they reach a slightly smooth consistency and pour these into the pan.
- Season, add the sugar and allow to cook over this heat for about 10-12 minutes. The water in the tomatoes must evaporate completely, so just double-check if the cooking time needs to be extended. You do not want your relish to run away from its burger bun!
Battered Red Onion Rings:
- Pre-heat a deep frying pan filled with cooking oil to 200° C.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the batter until smooth. Your batter may have a few lumps in it and this is okay. If your batter is too runny, add a little more flour to it. Should be only very slightly thicker than dropping consistency.
- Cover and refrigerate the batter for at least an hour. This is very important as you don’t want a batter that is room temperature (it will soak too much of oil in the frying process).
- Dip onion rings into batter, generously covering them with the batter, and then drop carefully into the hot oil.
- Fry in batches for about 2 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Turn the rings over, if needs be.
- This is the easiest part to the burgers, besides eating them, of course. All you have to do is blend the avo with the cream cheese until smooth, and set aside. DO THIS LAST as avocado gets browned if it’s left out too long! You can add a sqeeze of lemon juice if you’re concerned about your avo going brown.
Crispy Salami bits:
- Fry your salami in a non-stick pan until the pieces are nice and crispy, as per the photos.
Assembling your delicious Über Flavour Burgers:
- I toasted my buns with some butter, but you don’t have to do that if you prefer them more on the fresh side.
- First smear your avo onto the bottom half of your burger bun, then spoon the relish over this. In this way, your avo and relish won’t fall all over the place… The quantities are totally up to you.
- Top this with your fried/grilled burger patty, and place the crispy salami and pickles over this.
- Last but not least, top it all off with your battered onion rings!
- Garnish with micro greens, or you can have the micro greens on the side as a salad.
- Have a look at the photos for a good reference guide 😀
*Recipe makes 4 burgers.
Want to know where you can purchase some of these awesome drinks? Contact Über Flavour: