Recently I’ve been obsessed with avocado toast and its many assorted toppings. The possibilities with avocado are endless and you can have it as a sweetened addition to your bread with some nuts and bananas! Today I made the little toasts four ways with whatever I had on hand in the morning. It was an unplanned thing, but oh what beauty is born out of spontaneity! I don’t like too many add-ons, so I tried to keep things simple with my toppings. Here they are:
Avocado Toast Option #1
Charred peppers and roasted seeds: This was salty and crunchy, which in my opinion, is such an amazing combination. You can even try this with some shaved parmesan over the peppers.
Avocado Toast Option #2
Spicy Sriracha tuna melt, al forno style: Can you just resist the look of that delectable, melty cheese? I loved the heat that came from the sriracha; it made this toast option feel like a satisfying meal on its own.
Avocado Toast Option #3
Fresh tomato, cilantro and crumbled feta: This is an oldie but a goodie. The secret is in the seasoning. Make sure you crush up some whole peppercorns instead of going for ground pepper powder. This is an ideal slimmer’s treat.
Avocado Toast Option #4
Fried egg with a creamy sauce drizzle: Choose your favourite sauce and just enjoy this simple option for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 4 slices of your choice of bread – I used honey and oats bread which was delicious
- 1 egg
- 2 thinly sliced tomato rounds
- Feta for crumbling as desired
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 tsp chopped, fresh cilantro
- Half a pepper (red, yellow, green or mixed colours)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 1 tsp roasted seeds
- 2 tbsp cheddar
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp mayonnaise
- 1 can shredded tuna
- Slice the avocado length-ways and spoon out all of the avocado into a bowl. Mash up the avo roughly and set aside.
- Lightly toast three slices of the bread and let cool. Leave the fourth slice untoasted. This one will be grilled up nicely when it’s placed in the oven.
- Generously ‘fork’ the avocado onto the three slices of toast and the fourth untoasted slice.
Method for Option #1
- Add 1 tsp olive oil to a non-stick pan and turn the heat up to about 180° C. While the pan is heating up, deseed and devein half a pepper and slice in a julienne fashion. Add this to the hot pan and allow it to get slightly blackened on both sides. Remove the pepper slices when it’s done, set aside.
- Assemble by placing pepper slices on avo toast and garnish with roasted seeds. Season with salt and pepper.
Method for Option #2
- Empty the tuna into a bowl. Mix the tuna with the mayonnaise and sriracha. Slightly season – remember that tuna in brine can be quite salty already!
- Spread over the untoasted slice with the avocado on it.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top and pop in the oven on a grill setting at 220° C. Remove after 2 minutes or when you notice the cheese is melted and has a ‘golden crust’.
Method for Option #3
- Place the thinly sliced tomato rounds on top of avocado toast.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Finely chop the cilantro and garnish over the top.
- Crumble feta over the avocado toast and enjoy!
Method for Option #4
- Fry an egg in the butter. For these pictures, I had it done with a soft yolk. I would recommend that you use a soft yolk egg, too.
- Place the egg over the last slice of avocado toast. Season the egg with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle your choice of a creamy sauce (like mayo) over the egg.
And how easy is it to put together four lovely avocado toasts within minutes?! Let me know if you have any interesting or unique topping ideas in the comments below!